Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Does the punishment fit the crime?

Illegal immigration is a sensitive issue around the country. Unenforced and antiquated policies cause government numerous problems. At the same time, a growing disdain for those who have come to America illegally is growing, resulting in angry words and legally troublesome policies such as are found in Arizona. Utah is currently in the process of deciding how to handle the situation. In this Op-Ed in the Deseret Morning News, I offer three questions which we should be asking when creating immigration policy.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to let you know that I'm very happy to have read your article in the Deseret News newspaper located in my Univerity. I agree with your opinion that "Compassion is the ability to see the heartache in the lives of others, understand the reasons for their actions, and yearn to ease their pains." How I wish that more people thought that way. I am from Mexico and have resided here in Utah with my family for nearly fifteen years (I came at a young age). During my time here I have been insulted and mocked for being born in Mexico. With many other comments, I have been told to go back to my country. Little do people know that we can't go back to my country because my dad who is there, suffers from a severe mental disease that highly puts our own lives in danger. They don't know I have been a commited volunteer for needed organizations in my community. They don't know or understand that I love this country. They don't know there are "illegal" immigrants who feel this way. Mr. Manwaring thank you for reminding me that there are people out there who are compassionate, for I had begun to lose hope.

    ReplyDelete