Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Anger is fueled by misconceptions

Before the proposed mosque near Ground Zero in New York became a political tool, I formed an opinion about what was happening. At the time, I felt that it was legal for the mosque to be built. I felt that it would be a wonderful symbol of American religious freedom. But I also understood the sensitivity of the issue and felt that it was unwise for the people behind the proposal to proceed in the midst of public discontent, whether or not the fears and discontent were rational.

Since that time, I have been amazed as otherwise level-headed people have made outlandish statements. As the issue has gradually worked its way into Utah in a tangible form, I have continued to ponder upon the issue. This reflection has caused me to change my opinion somewhat as it relates to the wisdom of building a mosque near Ground Zero in the midst of over public outrage. I offer my thoughts in this Op-Ed in the Deseret Morning News.

1 comment:

  1. Mr Manwaring,
    I read your letter in the Deseret Morning News. I started out with the opinion that not only did Muslims have the legal right to build their Mosque, but they also had the moral right. I have since changed my mind. It wasn't that long ago that I was quick to tell people that Islam was a religion of peace and mercy. That Muslims were peace loving. I consider myself to be a liberal.
    I took the time to read more about Islam. I tried to read as much as possible, both positive and negative. After 6 months of reading I have come to the realization that I was very very wrong.
    Islam is the only religion that I am aware of the endorses lying and killing, as long as it is done in the name of Allah. It is the only religion that singles out another religion, Judiasm, and states that it is desirable to kill people of that faith.
    I am now of the opinion, that not only do I not want a Mosque at Ground Zero, I would protest the building of a Mosque in the town where I live.
    I do not apologize for this, anymore then I would ever apologize for organizing an anti Klan rally in my town in 1986.
    I will rethink my position on this as soon as one Muslim says that he believes that a Church or Synagogue should be built within 10 miles of Mecca.

    ReplyDelete